It should be the same as the number of the disk in the Disk Management window.
Be sure to double-check this — you could accidentally wipe the wrong drive if you select the wrong disk here. Type select disk and press Enter to select the Mac disk, replacing with the number of the Mac disk. Finally, type clean and press Enter.
You can now open the Disk Management window again. Locate the Mac disk in the list. Right-click in the unallocated space on the initialized disk and select New Simple Volume. The drive will now be formatted for use by Windows systems. There will be no space wasted by protected Mac partitions.
The best ways to format an external drive for Windows and Mac
Image Credit: Konstantinos Payavlas on Flickr. Read our roundup of the best storage devices available now: Best storage options for Mac. Before we begin there are a few things you need to know, including the most important decision of all, which format to use. We also have a tutorial on using Disk Utility on a Mac here.
- About exFAT.
- The best ways to format an external drive for Windows and Mac - CNET.
- pdf creator mac descargar gratis?
- How to Format a Drive for Mac & PC Compatibility?
- set up 2 screens on mac.
- How to Share an External Hard Drive Between Mac and Windows | Digital Trends.
Other reasons you might want to use Disk Utility include making a bootable macOS install drive covered here and if you are doing a clean install of macOS. There are a few file formats that you can use but the one that's right for your circumstances depends very much on what you are going to be using the drive for.
What are my options?
We'll describe them below, and you'll be able to choose the one that suits you. There are a number of things that are good about it - such as it being more efficient and more reliable.
You can choose an encrypted version and a case-sensitive version. But it won't be readable or usable by a Mac that isn't running High Sierra, and Windows or Linux machines won't be able to read or write either. Step 3.
Select the drive you want to format and click on Erase. Step 4. Step 5.
Then select Master Boot Record for scheme, hit Erase. Step 6.
Which Mac File System Is Best for an External Drive?
Once the process is done, you are ready to reuse the drive with FAT32 file system to save data again. After the process completes, type diskutil list in command once more to check if the USB drive has been formatted successfully.
- Can a Windows computer read a Mac-formatted hard drive?.
- How to share an external hard drive between Mac and Windows;
- How to format an external hard drive for Mac and PC?.
- How to Share an External Drive Between a Mac and a PC | PCWorld.
- Why Can’t Windows Read Mac Drives?.
- lacie wireless hard drive for mac.
- Get the best of both worlds by sharing your data on MacOS and Windows.
Here comes in handy the iMyFone AnyRecover.